Recently I ‘ve heard some nice songs. The melody and the lyrics both draw my attention. I’d like to introduce one song here. Though it is from the oldies, the song still remains its power with tenderness and strength.
Among benighted snow, when a person dwells on his loneliness and depression, how does he feel, express, or act? In Simon and Garfunkel’s song, “I am a rock,” the narrator disguises and pretends himself as a rock, which is strong and emotionless. He tries to neglect his pain, stand still, and be strong. He wishes that he was an island, a solitary, isolated self. In the middle of the braod sea, he silently bears the sea waves and tries to keep calm and steady. A rock and an island are both parts of nature. Does it means that nature do not suffer from woe and watches the up and down of human beings with an cold eye? Or does it mean that nature has an unspeakable healing power for human? Or do human affair seem little when compared with the eternity of the sublime nature? That might leave a lot of room for explaination.
A good song can surround the listeners with its unique music in extreme delight. I feel that I can repeat listening to the song all day because its music is so charming to me. Actually, I didn’t notice what the lyrics said at first. After I found the lyrics, the song seemed to mean more and has more to say. Maybe it is hard to cast away the narrator’s loneliness. The narrator and his loneliness seems to be with no expression and has nothing to express. Through this song, his solitude stays silent in pain in the pretense of pain-free rock and island.
1 則留言:
A good song will dwell itself melody on the listeners' hearts; an excellent song with touching lyrics will be likewises. I am the person like you, listening a song repeatedly and even along day long. Bathing in the atmosphere that the song gives me. So, dear Emma, would you like to share this song to me? I will be very appreciated for that.
張貼留言