2007年11月2日 星期五

Sleep Deprivation

Sleep deprivation is a common phenomenon nowadays. People may accumulate sleep-debt because of their work shift, baby care, somnorexia, or biological clock.Some surveys even find that teenagers stay awake in the middle of night using cell phone. No matter what the cause, lack of sleep bothers people in many ways.

Because of melatonin secretion, youngsters feel energetic at night and easily feel drowsy during the day time. Students may nod off in class and cannot focus on study. People usually fail to be alert while doing their work in the day time if they don’t get enough shut-eye. Shortage of sleep can also cause danger when people are driving or using machines. Some say that short sleepers may easily become tired, make bad decision and be emotionally instable. They may be more likely to feel depressed and frustrated. Besides, the amount of sleep is linked to the appetite-regulating hormones, and sleep deprivation might lead to weight increase. Having enough sleep is beneficial to our brain function and metabolism, and it can also affect our efficiency at many things.

Take myself for example: if I stay up late, fatigue and drowsiness will overcome me the next day, and I can hardly keep my eye open. Much worse is that I have to make up my sleep hours in the following days, which causes inconvenience and abnormality of life. Therefore, I believe that enough sleep and good sleep quality are required.

Recently I have tried to go to bed earlier and get more time to sleep. Although actually I am a night owl, it is still worth giving it a try for my health. Otherwise, I may face what my classmate says is the biggest problem—aging—in a horrifying way.

沒有留言: